About Me

I created this blog so I could give my two cents on topics that are near and dear to me. All presented in a 9 inning format.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

3..2..1..Blast off!

So, here we go with my inaugural weekly blog post...

1st inning.
Super Bowl Sunday...I wish the Chiefs were playing.  That's a wish I've had for too many years.  I love watching highlights from the '60s and the Chiefs' Superbowl squads of that era but damn, we have had some good teams in Kansas City over the past 20 years that coulda, shoulda, woulda been great to see in the big game.  It was nice to see former Chief, Curley Culp, selected for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but in my opinion another former Chief deserves it more...#89 Otis Taylor.  Taylor was the mold from which all modern receivers were cut. Check out this video put together by Red Tribe Cinema.
 

One of the greatest moments in Chiefs history, outside of the Super Bowls, is the display of friendship and teammates by Otis when he takes down Ben Davidson of the Raiders after Davidson speared Lenny 'The Cool' Dawson.  Awesome moment!

2nd inning.
So, Gina and I made our first trip to the Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City this past weekend.  Dixie had already been with a friend so she acted as our unofficial tour guide.  We had our girls plus two(Kylie and Dixie both brought a friend).  The room had 3 beds with one in a loft.  We arrived on a Friday night after 5pm and the kids were buzzing and bouncing off the walls to get down to the water park that closed at 9pm.  After a quick Pizza Hut dinner we were off!  There seemed to be plenty for the kids to do and they spent the night going down the water slides while Gina and I kept Lucy busy in the baby pool.  The next morning the water park opened at 9am and we were down there shortly thereafter and spent several hours there before packing it up and heading home.  Overall it was an okay time.  The room was designed good but for the price we paid I expected to not find a poor wallpaper patch job with additional torn patches along with a clearly broken dresser drawer in the loft area.  The carpet in the hallways throughout the lodge were starting to bunch up in places and indicated a poor carpet laying job.  Other than those rather minor cosmetic issues it seemed to be well worth the money....but, (yes there is a but), if you plan on only staying one night, book Saturday night.  You can partake in the water park activities prior to checking in to your room so you could show up at 9am Saturday when the water park opens and play all day until your 3pm check-in then grab your bags from your car and enter your room for a quick rest before heading back to close out the water park.  

3rd inning.
American History lesson this week: http://www.dickmorris.com/andrew-jackson-creates-a-democracy-dick-morris-tv-history-video/ .  I am an American history buff.  We have so much to learn and avoid going forward by just looking at our past.  When Gina and I got married we spent our honeymoon in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. On our way back home to Jonesboro, Arkansas we stopped in Nashville and toured The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's home).  We made a challenge to ourselves over that trip to try and visit all the President's home/libraries.  So far we have made it to Jackson, Truman, Kennedy, and Polk.  Hopefully we will make it out to Abilene, Kansas for Eisenhower and Little Rock for Clinton this year.




4th inning.
One of the movies I'm looking forward to seeing this year is 'The Lone Ranger'. http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=the-lone-ranger-trailer2 .  I grew up watching the old black and white re-runs of 'The Lone Ranger' with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels.  Hell, I had the Lone Ranger and Tonto action figure dolls with horses at one point in my youth...and looking at what they go for now on Ebay I wish I still had them.  That opening theme music always got me excited as a kid.  I had my own mask, toy cowboy hat, and six shooter.  Imagine that, kids playing with toy guns. 


From the looks of the trailer, Johnny Depp should make the new version an entertaining flick. 

5th inning.
This ole hat.  April 6th, 2002.  Gina and I were up from Arkansas visiting my family here in Belton and I decided to take her to a Royals game.  Her first game.  On that day I bought this hat.  It is old, faded, broke down(adjustment strap is broke so I used blue duct tape to keep it together), and sometime smells funny.  The Royals may have lost 14-0 that day but I still have this hat and Gina now understands my passion for the Royals and baseball.

6th inning.
Firearms corner.  I am by no means a gun expert.  I was not raised in a house with firearms but I was occasionally exposed to them when I travelled down to Arkansas to visit my dad's family.  With that said, since getting married, I have taken up hunting and a general interest for all things firearms related.  I even went out and created a business and obtained a Federal Firearms License as a dealer.  I am and will always be eager to learn more about the industry, history, and anything in general about the subject.  I cherish the moments I get to have with my Uncle Randy around the campfire at deer camp while he educates us on the history of the M1 Garand or the Winchester Model 94.  So, I'll start off by discussing my most prized gun.  It is a Winchester Model 67 single-shot in .22long rifle/.22short.  It originally belonged to my Great-Grandfather, Oscar Brewer, who would have purchased it around the mid-1930s.  It was passed down to my Grandfather, Udis 'Papa' Brewer, and upon his death I took possession of it.  It was the very first rifle I ever shot.  My Papa Brewer took me out squirrel hunting on the mountain behind their old farmhouse when I shot it.  When I took possession of it the stock was very worn and chewed up (from what I could gather he would set it in his squirrel dog's pen to let them become familiar with it and not be afraid of it which lead to them chewing on it).  Thankfully my brother-in-law, Stephen, being the woodworking guru that he is took it and refinished the stock and added a new butt stock.  Now it looks great again and over the past few years as my girls have come of age it just happened to be the first firearm they have shot (not Lucy yet, of course).     




7th inning.
What I'm reading...1776 by David McCullough, Founding Father:Rediscovering George Washington by Richard Brookhiser, and The New Founders by Michael Duncan and Joseph Connor.

1776--I'm up through the Seige of Boston and Henry Knox just showed up with artillery taken from Fort Ticonderoga.  If you don't know anything about Knox's feat to bring back those cannons then check it out.  The British are wearing down in Boston and the Continental Army is getting restless. 

Founding Father--This book divides up his life into Career, Character, and Founding Father.  I'm in the Career section which is divided between his time in the War, during the creation of the Constitution, and his Presidency.  This man knew how important his presence was to so many events but did not let it go to his head.  He very easily could have become King George the 1st (and some wanted that) yet he knew how important it was to set the standard of what we were becoming: the grand experiment in self-governance.

The New Founders--This is a fictional book that finds the spirit of 5 of our founders(Franklin, Jefferson, Madison, Adamns, and Hamilton) living in modern men that are drawn to Philadelphia over a July 4th weekend in which they encounter George Washington, living and breathing.  They start to examine how our nation has veered off course from it's founding principles.  I'm at the part where they have met Washington and are starting to get him up to speed on the history of the nation since his death.  They are getting ready to drive him to Washington, D.C. to show him around.  Good stuff!   

8th inning.
FFL factoid...a Federal Firearms Dealer must keep all form 4473s where a transfer was completed for 20 years.

9th inning.
Six days till Pitchers and Catchers report.  The 2013 Royal's slogan--"Come to Play!".


No comments:

Post a Comment